Washing the hair correctly is necessary so that it strengthens the roots. This also eradicates all germs and dirt from the scalp resulting in healthy hair. Often wrong hair cleansing method makes your hair look messy and ends up in split ends. Shampooing and conditioning are essential and should be appropriately done from time to time. You may say that shampooing is natural, and there are no hidden tricks in it. However, there are few necessary steps if followed can lead your hair to grow amazingly.
Avoid Daily Hair Wash
If you wash your hair daily, the hair strands become dry and get affected. Unwanted frizz makes your life hell to manage the entire hair. Therefore, wash your hair with mild cleansers thrice a week. Do not let the brands fool you and make you shampoo every day.
Lukewarm Water Importance
While bathing, most of us do not pay much mind to the water temperature. Do you know too much cold or hot water are enemies of your hair? Extra heat can damage the hair roots, and cold water leads to split ends. Oily hair users often indulge in everyday washing their hair. This is not correct as it does not remove the oil but takes away the natural moisture of your hair.
Try bathing with Luke warm water for better nourishment of the hair. You can also use the water filters, which are available in the markets. However, they contain chlorine in them. The best thing you can do is to remove the chlorine content and chemicals using the shower filter. In markets, these shower filters price may range between 50-150 dollars. Another benefit of lukewarm water is your skin does not gets dried up quickly.
Massage and Repeat
The best way to do shampooing or oiling your hair is massage therapy. It is not always possible to appoint any professional for this purpose as it involves additional costs. You can simply start with the circular motions and be gentle while massaging your scalp. Then also put attention to the strands till the tip.
Applying the correct amount of the hand pressure while massaging your head is also important. This not only relieves the stress but also gives you a spa experience at home. Do not rush while shampooing. You may engage 3-5 minutes in the entire process. Blood circulation all over your nervous system improves through a massage technique.
Shampoo Vs. Hair Types
Every shampoo is not for you. Choose the hair products carefully and not just by the aroma or brand name. The hair type of all individuals is not the same.
- Dry and damaged hair will need more hydration; therefore, choose keratin shampoo. These can retain the oil and protein content of your hair.
- Again, oily hair needs need purifying hair cleansers, which can maintain the moisture and can remove extra oil from hair.
- Shampoos that contain polymers can help in enhancing the volume of your hair. It is suitable for fine hair types. Botanical extracts content in any shampoo is suitable for thick or wavy hair types.
- Often, people have color-treated hair or any spa therapy done. Therefore investing in color protectant shampoos is best for such hair type. It helps the color to stay and does not causes natural fading.
- You can also choose any sunscreen or UV based ingredient in your hair cleansers, which can protect your hair from harmful UV rays. This maintains the natural shine of the hair for a long time instead of making your hair look dull.
Leave in Conditioner Benefits
Conditioning hair needs time; hence you need to have the patience for this process. You cannot just rinse and wash off. There are two methods of conditioning hair properly
- First, in the general conditioning where you shampoo your hair first. Then you start massaging the roots of the hair with conditioner and wash it off.
- Secondly, there is reverse conditioning. In this method, you condition your hair first in a dry state. Then you have to wash the hair and apply shampoo. Again, after cleansing, you have to condition the hair strands properly before washing. Reverse condition is a method that can be followed once in a week. This instantly makes your hair glow, but it has a disadvantage. Often the moisture of the hair goes for a toss.
- Natural conditioning is a brilliant process to nourish the hair and lock ion the brightness. However, the effect of conditioners goes after a certain point. We recommend you to wash your hair with a mild conditioner twice or thrice after shampooing. Do not apply any conditioner on your scalp to avoid baldness or hair loss problems.
- If you have colored hair, go for clarifying conditioners, which do not cause dandruff and are gentle for your color retention.
- Keeping conditioners on your hair should not exceed more than 5 minutes.
Now that you know the techniques of shampoos and conditioner treatment on your hair, it is time for drying.
- Use a soft towel to wrap your head after your bathing is complete. Make sure there is space for the hair to breathe as well.
- Dry it in normal hair and not through blow dryers. However, if you are in a hurry for a meeting or party, then you may use a heat controlled blow dryer. Do check the temperature measurements; it should not be too hot for your hair. A moderate temperature of heat setting is favorable.
- If you are planning for hair straightening. We would suggest you do not apply heat to your wet hair. Your hair should be semi damp in condition while you start applying straightener.
- Before applying any heat on your hair strands, apply a light oil-based serum. These solutions have heat protectant molecules. Therefore, even if you allow the heat on the hair, it damages less.
Hair Care Masks
Home natural hair masks are the best way to get rid of any hair related issues. They are organic and work in less time. Along with your favorite shampoo and conditioners, you can try the following home tips for your hair;
- Dry or Itchy Hair is commonly found in winters. Pick up the lemon and squeeze it into juice. Add 2-3 tablespoon of olive oil into it. You may add a few drops of water to dilute the solution and apply it to your hair. Keep these for 10-20 minutes. This is also a beautiful treatment for eliminating dandruff from your hair. Shampoo and wash off this mask.
- For oily hair, you can use apple cedar vinegar with lemon juice. This helps in balancing the ph level of your hair and neutralizes oil in your scalp.
- Hair loss or baldness can be treated well yogurt mask. Yogurt contains protein-rich nutrients essential for hair growth. Apply this once a week to feel the difference in your hair growth.
- If you have bald patches in some of the scalp area and you want to fix it quick. Try squeezing out onion juice and apply it to those areas. Shampoo it thoroughly as the smell of onion is not much impressive. This trick surely works.
- Once a week, you should detox your hair. The air pollution, dirt, sun rays, or even chemical treatments affects our hair severely. Often hair elasticity and shine go off. Therefore, you should prepare a detoxifying mask before shampooing. Add bentonite clay with apple cedar vinegar and aloe vera extracts. This will look like a thick brown mask. Apply it all over your scalp till hair roots. Keep it for 15 minutes and then wash off the hair gently.
What is the correct way to shampoo your hair?
There’s no wrong way to shampoo your hair. However, there are some ways that are more effective than others. Here are the steps that you should follow if you want to shampoo your hair the right way:
Wet your hair first by running warm water through it for a few minutes. This will soften up your scalp and make it easier for you to work with.
2. Apply a conditioner and leave it on for at least five minutes before rinsing it out with lukewarm water and then cold water, as this will help close the cuticle of the hair follicles and make them more receptive to moisture when you’re done shampooing.
3. Apply a moisturizing lotion or oil on your hands before beginning to massage into your scalp ( Gelatin is a good option, it will help protect your hair from the alcohol).
Apply shampoo and massage in a clockwise motion over the scalp. Be sure to lather up your scalp well before you start to cleanse it so that any residue left isn’t wiped away by water as you wash.
Rinse your hair thoroughly with cold water and then repeat the process in the opposite direction.
Rinse with cool water to close up the cuticle.
Follow with a cold rinse and then towel dry your hair so that any residual moisture is removed from it (never use hot air or a blow dryer).
Apply conditioner for a few minutes and then rinse it out before blow drying your hair with a diffuser.
Apply your favorite styling products and style your hair as usual.(This will help reduce the amount of alcohol that is absorbed by your hair, recommended by many hairdressers)
How long should you leave shampoo in your hair?
There is a range of factors that go into how long you should leave shampoo in your hair, including the type of shampoo and how long it takes for you to wash your hair.
Does shampoo or conditioner go first?
The two most commonly used products in a shower are shampoo and conditioner. They both have their advantages and disadvantages.
Both shampoo and conditioner can be used as a leave-in treatment for your hair. The main difference between the two is that shampoo is applied to wet hair, while conditioner is applied to dry hair.
The question of which goes first has been debated for years. Some people believe that conditioner should be applied before shampoo so that it can coat your hair with moisture, while others believe that it should go the other way around so that you can get the scalp clean first before the rest of your hair gets dirty.
Do you put shampoo on wet or dry hair?
Many people have asked this question before, but there isn’t a simple answer for it. It is best to use shampoo on wet hair because the shampoo will be able to penetrate the hair more easily. However, if you have dry hair, it might be better for you to use shampoo on dry hair because it will be easier for your scalp and hair follicles to absorb the product.
What happens if you don’t wash all the shampoo out of your hair?
Not washing all the shampoo out of your hair is a common mistake. Shampoo gets in your hair and scalp and can cause some serious problems if you don’t wash it out.
If you don’t wash the shampoo out of your hair, it can lead to dryness, itchiness, and more flakes than usual. It also makes your hair look dull and greasy.
A lot of people think that they don’t need to wash their hair after using shampoo because it’s natural for the product to be washed away by sweat or water. But this isn’t true – even though shampoo might get washed away by water or sweat, there are still chemicals left behind in the follicles that could cause damage when not washed out properly.
Can I wash my hair daily with water only?
The answer is yes and no. Water is a natural cleanser, but it doesn’t remove all the oils from your hair. You should use a mild shampoo to cleanse your hair and scalp every day.
This article discusses the benefits of using water as an alternative to shampooing every day, but also mentions that you should not wash your hair with just water alone. It’s important to use a mild shampoo in order to ensure that you are not stripping away too much oil from your scalp.
How many times a week should you wash your hair?
For most people, washing their hair is a daily routine. For some, it is once a day and for others, it can be twice. There are factors that determine how often you should wash your hair.
The most important factor to consider when determining how often you should wash your hair is the type of hair and scalp you have. If you have oily or dry hair, then more frequent washes are required. If you have normal to oily skin on your scalp with thick or thin strands of hair, then once every two days would be sufficient for you to keep yourself clean.
If you have normal to dry skin with thin strands of hair and/or scalp, then once every three days would suffice for your needs.